At Christmas time, we often spend our hard earned money on buying presents for friends and family. Sadly, thieves know this too – and they’re on the lookout for opportunities. Take a moment to think like a thief, then take steps to protect your home and vehicle this festive season.
Secure your home
- Always lock windows, doors and garden gates to prevent a burglar from simply ‘walking in’
- Don’t leave valuables on show or within easy reach of doors or windows
- Remove keys from view and don’t leave them in the lock or near the door
- If you’re out, make your home look occupied – use a timer switch to turn on lighting inside and outside
- Use your burglar alarm if you have one
- Close curtains or blinds after dark to stop people looking in from outside
- Ask for proof of identity before letting anyone into your home
- After Christmas, don’t advertise your gifts by leaving boxes outside for rubbish collection
- Protect your property with Smartwater and register your valuables for free on www.immobilise.com
- Consider joining your local Neighbourhood Watch scheme
Protect your vehicle
- Don't leave items on display, remove valuables and wipe away sat nav marks
- Always lock your vehicle, and don’t forget the boot and windows
- When you’re out and about, always try and park in a secure attended car park, or use one that’s been awarded the Park Mark® status by the British Car Park Association. Find out more at www.saferparking.com
Back to home page
Discuss this news article
Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).
The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org
The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service. The System Administrators make no guarantee, endorsement and accept no liability, regarding the discussion service above, including, but not limited to, its availability, accuracy, currency, content, quality or lack of objectionable or offensive content.